Home » About
Division of Extension Natural Resources Institute
At the crossroads of community, natural resources and agriculture
The environmental challenges of our time, especially access to plentiful, sustainably managed sources of food, water and energy, require multidisciplinary community thinking and a strong understanding of the human dimensions of resource management. Natural Resources Institute staff are uniquely positioned to provide science-based information and education at the crossroads of communities, natural resources and agriculture in our state and beyond.
The institute comprises researchers and outreach specialists with diverse backgrounds and expertise. Our programs embody the Wisconsin Idea, harnessing the leading-edge thinking and research of the university and facilitating change through an extensive network of local, state and regional partnerships. We understand the value of on-the-ground, local relationships that result in lasting impacts and transformative change.
To empower individuals and communities to make informed decisions that benefit our shared natural resources.
From water and forestry programming to conservation training and youth environmental education, our outreach specialists, educators, researchers, affiliates and support teams navigate complex issues, facilitate challenging conversations and help prepare and guide the next generation of community leaders. Learn about our transformative programs across the state and beyond by downloading one of our impact reports.
Natural Resources Institute Impact Report
Conservation Professional Training Program Manure Management Impact Report
Lake Superior Reserve Wetland and Community Engagement Impact Report
Upham Woods Outdoor Learning Center Student Engagement (Research Accelerators) Impact Report
Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey (WGNHS) State Geologic Map Impact Report
Project and Funding Partners
(See program websites for full partner lists)
- Aldo Leopold Foundation
- Environmental Defense Fund
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- National Science Foundation
- North Central SARE
- Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center
- River Alliance of Wisconsin
- Tallgrass Prairie and Oak Savanna Fire Science Consortium
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- U.S. Forest Service
- USDA Farm Services Agency (FSA)
- USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA)
- USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)
- University of Wisconsin–Platteville
- University of Wisconsin–Stevens Point
- UW Biological Systems Engineering
- UW College of Agricultural & Life Sciences
- UW Department of Forest and Wildlife Ecology
- UW Discovery Farms
- UW School of Human Ecology
- UW Sea Grant
- UW Department of Soil Science
- Wisconsin Coastal Management Program
- Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP)
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (WDNR)
- Wisconsin Land and Water Conservation Association (WLWCA)
- Wisconsin Wetlands Association
This page is optimized for printing
We'd love to hear from you.
We’re always looking for new partners, affiliates and project collaborators.